Assistant Technical Manager
Technical Team - London
Job Title: Assistant Technical Manager – Museum Decant
Salary: £28,500 per annum
Working Hours: 08:30 -16:30 (Monday to Friday)
Reporting to: Head of Technical Team
Duration: Fixed term contract – approx. 16 months to December 2023
Location: Near Olympia and/ or Stratford, London and office attendance in London, SE15 and Iver, Buckinghamshire
Constantine is a leading international art logistics company for Private Collectors, Museums and Galleries. With over 130 years’ experience and worldwide recognition in fine art transportation, Constantine combines their unrivalled knowledge and expertise with latest technical innovation in secure storage and project management.
The Technical team is an extremely busy group, running Gallery and Museum installations and large projects such as Archive and Collection moves, Museum Decants and complex object handling projects.
We are currently recruiting an Assistant Technical Manager on a fixed term contract to work on preparing and moving a large Museum collection. Working within large Museum stores in West and East London, you will be managing the practical logistics of the packing and movement of Museum Collections, liaising directly with client staff and Constantine Tech teams.
Roles and responsibilities
- Assist the Head of Technical team and the Constantine Technical Managers in the delivery of a major collection decant project.
- Manage the day-to-day work of the Constantine Technicians including their workflow and resources.
- Monitor costs and progress of the decant against the schedule.
- Attend regular meetings with Client staff, as well as other ad hoc work alongside them.
- Set up and maintain work management files related to the project. Compile all existing project related information by area and collection and assist the practical management of the decant in each area.
- Undertake site visits within the stores to measure and assess a wide range of object handling and movements, access, and any other site-specific issues.
- Provide method statements and risk assessments for specific object and collection movements.
- Maintain stock levels of materials to assist the Constantine Techs.
- Engage in and maintain the transport schedule of vehicle movements.
- Maintain clear correspondence both internally and with client project managers.
- Assist the work of Constantine Techs where necessary.
- At all times fulfil the company aim of providing excellent service to our clients and colleagues alike.
- Work on site within the client’s premises observing all local site rules and with respect to the client’s property.
- Any other duties as required by the Head of Technical or Technical Managers.
- Recent hands-on experience of Art handling and packing of a range of objects.
- Previous decant experience would be ideal.
- Knowledge of Museum or Gallery storage environments.
- Awareness of the conservation issues surrounding art handling.
- Awareness of the health & safety issues surrounding art handling.
- Excellent working familiarity with common software such as Word, Outlook and Excel, and willingness to learn software, including MS Project.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in all work.
- Practical experience in an area such as Art, Construction, Engineering or similar activity.
- Outgoing, friendly and helpful attitude, with an ability to build relationships, and work flexibly and independently, and as part of a team.
What we are offering:
- Salary as above
- Company pension contribution of 6%
- 20 days holiday per annum plus 3 days Christmas period close allocated by the company
- Life assurance
Please apply with your CV and cover letter to: